The O.C. Billings Home

Location: Three and one half miles southeast of Maurertown, Virginia, on Route 600 across the Shenandoah River.

Built: circa 1835


9 Nov 1835: John Bowman and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Obed Crabill shares of land of which Jacob Coffman died seized and possessed. Deed Book OO, page 371

22 Jul 1851: Obed Crabill and Barbara, his wife, conveyed to his son, Amos Crabill. Deed Book ZZ, page 324

16 Jul 1859: Amos Crabill and Barbara Ann, his wife, sold to Esther Maphis and David W. Maphis. Deed Book 4, page 408

1 Sep 1860: Esther Maphis and David W. Maphis and Sarah, his wife, sold to Jacob Pence. Deed Book 6, page 316

17 Aug 1866: Jacob Pence and Edith, his wife, sold to O.C. Billings. Deed Book 7, page 503

13 Jan 1873: O.C. Billings and Maria J., his wife, and Mark Bird, Moses Walton and W.T. Williams, Special Commissioner of sale, conveyed to B.P. Newman. Deed Book 11, page 223

12 Sep 1902: B.P. Newman heirs conveyed property to C. Mary Wunder. Deed Book 57, page 117

Physical Description

This is a three and one half story, L-shaped house, part log and part frame. There are five outside brick chimneys. The weatherboarding is wide and plain. The cornices are plain wood. There are thirty three windows having 9x12 fifteen panes downstairs and twelve panes upstairs. The shutters have stationary slats. There is a front portico and two back porches with old time railings. The entrance is a wide six-panel, two-cross door with side lights and a transom of six panes.

There are ten large rooms and three small, and the ceiling height is nine and one half feet. The open string, two-flight stairway has small round rail and newels, and there is a scroll design under each step. The doors are six-panel, two-cross, also two long vertical panels. The material is pine. The door and window frames are beautifully fluted and reeded, with rose blocks in corners. The doors have large old iron locks and hinges. The walls are plastered and papered, and there is a paneled wainscoting. There are four paneled mantels. There are many large closets and five fireplaces, two in the basement. The basement consists of three large rooms with brick floor and plastered walls and ceiling.

Historical Significance

The barn was burnt during the Civil War.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 30 2001