18 Jun 1798: Walter Newman and Catharine, his wife, sold to Henry Snell for 478 pounds of good and lawful money of the Commonwealth of Virginia, a certain lot and half lot known as lot #1 and #2 in New Market. Deed Book L, page 266
9 Apr 1803: Jacob Deery bought of Henry Snell and Margaret, his wife, for $1500, a house and lot of one half acre known as lot #1 and #2 in New Market, and John Deery shall pay or cause to be paid to Abraham Savage the ground rent of five shillings a year on or before April 1. Deed Book N, page 227
11 Apr 1817: John Deary sold to James Scott lot and bldg. known as Deary hostelry and hotel in New Market, lot #1. Deed Book X
15 Nov 1837: John S. Calvert and Catharine, his wife, sold to Josiah C. Sanmer (sic) for $1700 current money of Va. one certain house and lot in New Market known as lot #1 - containing one half acre and is same conveyed from Jacob Deary to James Scott (Deed Book X, Page 450), April 11, 1817 and by James Scott to James Russell and Elizabeth Willis (Deed Book Z, page 401 year 1818) and by them to Lawrence Pitman and by him to Gideon Salvage, and by him to Philip Liggett. Deed Book QQ, page 376
20 Sep 1833: Gideon Salvage and Frances, his wife, sold to Philip Legget of Rockingham County, for $1500, house and land known as lot #1 and #2. Deed Book MM, page 458
31 Oct 1839: John D. Zirkle released to Josiah C. Sanner (sic) the certain house and lot in which said Sanner keeps Public House.. Deed Book RR, page ?
10 Nov 1852: James C. Lutz sold to Solomon P. Rupert for debts due and liens etc. property known as Central Hotel and also lot known as the Stage Stable lot in New Market. Geo. R. and James C. Lutz. Deed Book 3, page 292
21 Mar 1874: Between David S. Henkel and Rebecca, his wife, and Geo. M. Bodell for the sum of $100 for a lot of land in New Market known as lot #1 and #2.. Deed Book 18, page 229
1 Jan 1880: Geo. M. Bodell and Ella M., his wife, sold to Christian Kagey and Frances, for $700 for house and lot one quarter acre in New Market. Deed Book 19, page 21
4 Sep 1883: Christian Kagey and Frances, his wife, sold to J.A. Roller for $750 for house and lot #1 in New Market. Deed Book 23, page 334 &c.
12 Nov 1886: John A. Roller sold to Sarah M. Holtzman for $840 lot #1 in New Market. Deed Book 28, page 138
2 Mar 1904: Mrs. Sarah Holtzman sold to C.G. Price for $800 two lots in New Market. Deed Book 59, page 418
15 Apr 1907: Between C.N. Hoover trustee for the estate of Sarah M. Holtzman, dec'd., and R.L. Tidler - for the sum of $2400.00 for the property known as the Central Hotel or lot #1 in New Market. Deed Book 67, page 251
27 Jan 1910: Between R.L. Tidler and Emma Virginia Tidler, his wife, property known as the Central hotel on lot #1 in New Market. Deed Book 72, page 395
18 Jan 1910: C.G. Price and Emma E., his wife, sold to M. Sherry for $1025 to be paid according to deed - lots #1 & #2 in New Market. Deed Book 72, page 376
5 May 1938: Nannie Maloney, departed this life, intestate, leaving surviving as her only heirs, her husband, B.F. Maloney, and two sons, J.W. and C.M. Malone to share and share alike. The purpose of this deed to relinquish to J.W. and C.M. Malone his estate by courtesy. Deed Book 101, page 285
10 Dec 1928: Bertie Woods Sprinkel and C. Carter Sprinkel, her husband, Minnie E. Neff, widow, and Dora Lee Niswander and T.C. Niswander, her husband, sold to C.D. McNeal for $1900 lots #1 and #2 in New Market. Deed Book 103, page 375Physical Description
This oblong, two-story log structure with hipped metal roof has one chimney on the north side. The weatherboarding is plain clapboard. The windows are of all sizes, due to much remodeling, but had shutters with movable slats, which have been removed. The entrance is an enclosed stoop.
The rooms have been remodeled, so that there are only two large ones now (1937). There is a small walled cellar. The doors are glass and wood paneled. The walls are painted and the floors are of narrow boards.Historical Significance
According to all records as recorded in the Court House in Woodstock, Virginia, this is the oldest hotel or rooming house in New Market, it having been used as a public house in 1803. The lot back of the house being used as a stage hostelry and stable.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb