Made April 20, 1816, Probated June 10, 1822. John Hockman bequeathed to his son, Noah, one half of his plantation, the other half to his son, Christian, to hold during their mutual lifetime and then to pass to their children. Will Book M, page 39
22 Feb 1888: William A. Hockman and Joanna, his wife, convey to John W. Hockman for the sum of $2900, a certain tract known as the Old John Hockman farm, the same which said Noah Hockman heired by will from his father, John Hockman, dec'd. Deed Book 30, page 203
1 Apr 1909: John W. Hockman and Mary Jane, his wife, convey to their son, Harry Q. Hockman, for the sum of $3006.88.Physical Description
This two and one half story, "L" shaped house is partly frame, stone and log construction. It has a metal (originally shingle) gabled roof with one outside stone chimney and two inside brick chimneys. The weatherboarding is wide hand-hewn vertical over logs on part of the house. There are nineteen windows with twelve 9x12 panes. There is a large front porch extending around the "L", with small square balusters and along flight of steps with hand railing.
The house has eight large rooms with nine foot ceilings. The two-flight stairway is open string with square balusters, turned newels and paneled walls. There is a cellar under the entire house with a stone fireplace for cooking and a hard packed ground floor. The doors are six-panel, two-cross with large outside iron locks, some brass knobs and common outside hinges. The walls are papered, but some are wide beaded board partitions. The floors are of very wide heavy pine boards. There are three beautifully reeded and fluted mantels and one plain mantel. The door and window frames are wide and of reeded design with rose blocks.Historical Significance
"Among the early records of various sales of land certified by the court under date of February 25, 1777, was one by Nicholas Pittman to John Hockman."
"On May 1, 1778, Henry Hockman was appointed overseer of the road from Woodstock to the top of Powell's Fort Mountain." (Wayland, pp., 117, 119)
This Hockman Home has the appearance of being built prior to 1800, as evidenced by the several stone buildings - a stone spring house over a fine flowing spring; a stone wash house with large fireplace; and a stone meat house, well protected.
The house itself was built of stone, thick walls which now are covered with weatherboarding, part of the house was of logs, then later a frame wing was added.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb