The Old Stoner Mill

Location: Fisher's Hill, Virginia, on Tumbling Run

Built: circa 1775 or 1777


Owned by Frederick Stoner, then by William Stoner, his son. This early part of the record is missing.

William Stoner dec'd., in his last will and testament devised to his son, Abraham Stoner, Grist mill and house in which his son resided. Probated May 8, 1843. Will Book W, page 303

1 Apr 1853: Abraham Stoner and Sarah, his wife, sold to Obed Coffman. Deed Book 1, page 348

Apr 1855: Obed Coffman and Catherine, his wife, sold to Levi Pifer and Philip Keller. Deed Book 2, page 488

15 Mar 1856: Philip Keller and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Levi Pifer all his interest he held in the mill, brick house, etc.. Deed Book 3, page 490

21 May 1879: Levi Pifer and Elizabeth, his wife, conveyed to E.E. Stickley. Deed Book 18, page 44

27 Feb 1884: E.E. Stickley sold to John H. Keller. Deed Book 24, page 162

C.H. and G.M. Keller, sons of John H. Keller, dec'd., owned this property in 1937.

Physical Description

This stone structure has four stories (with the fourth story being weatherboarded) and a metal gambrel roof with one inside brick chimney. There are thirty six windows with twelve 10x12 panes in most windows. There are six dormers with gabled roofs. The mill has two large wheels, one outside and one inside. The entrance is a heavy old six-panel door with a five pane transom.

The rooms have a ten foot ceiling and the stairway is plain with steps to each floor. The cellar has a concrete floor. Some of the doors are batten type and some are paneled with large outside iron locks and hinges. The walls are rough stone and unpainted. There are large pine logs run through the mill under the floors.

Historical Significance

This mill is considered the oldest in Shenandoah County. It contained 100 bushels of wheat during the Civil War and was set on fire by Sheridan's men, but the officers ordered that the fire be put out.

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created October 30 2001