The Pennybacker Home

Location: One half mile south of Cedar Grove Church on Route 616

Built: circa 1800


1 Mar 1780: George Harrison sold to Andrew Carrell. Deed Book C, page 286

27 Oct 1789: Andrew Carrell and Elizabeth, his wife, sold to Samuel Coffman. Deed Book G, page 358

1 Oct 1809: Samuel Coffman and Barbara, his wife, sold to Benjamin Pennybacker, for $8,000. Deed Book R, page 102

Made 15 Dec 1820, Probated 12 Feb 1821: In his last will and testament, Benjamin Pennybacker, dec'd., his sons, Joel and George were made executors and directed his estate to be sold when the youngest son arrived at the age of 21. Will Book L, page 280

31 Oct 1840: Joel Pennybacker and Margaret, his wife, and George M. Pennybacker and Ann, his wife, sold to Isaac S. Pennybacker for $12,000, 300 acres of land. Deed Book SS, page 187

2 Sep 1848: Samuel H. Pennybacker and Allan C. Bryan, Commissioners, sold to Jacob Good, land which Isaac S. Pennybacker, dec'd., died seized and possessed. Deed Book XX, page 264

Made 24 Jan 1872, probated 8 Apr 1872: Jacob Good, in his last will and testament, devised home farm to his son, Michael Good. Will Book B, page 248

19 Jan 1900: Michael J. Good and Barbara N. Good, his wife, conveyed to Lillian L. Good, John M. Good, Robert M. Good and David B. Good, infant children of David B. Good, dec'd., 124 acres land which was devised to him by his father. Deed Book 52, page 72

31 Aug 1925: W.L. Newman, Special Commissioner (in chancery cause of John M. Good's Administrator, vs. John M. Good's creditors on May 9, 1925, C.W. Bennick, trustee. David B. Good and W.L. Newman were appointed Commissioners to sell at public auction the real estate which John M. Good dec'd., died, seized and possessed) sold to Mrs. E. Grace Good. Deed Book 98, page 546

28 Dec 1926: E. Grace Good and David B. Good, her husband, sold to J.H. and W.D. Sisler for $11,000, 124 acres of land. Deed Book 101, page 429

Physical Description

This rectangular three story log house has a metal gabled roof with two inside chimneys, one brick and one of stone. There are twenty nine windows, some with twelve 8x10 panes and some with four 12x22 panes. The windows have shutters with heavy stationary slats. There is a porch across the front and a small, low back porch. The front porch has a hip roof. The entrance is a batten lined heavy six-panel, two-cross door with a four pane transom.

There are twelve large rooms with the first floor rooms having nine foot ceilings, the second floor rooms having eight foot ceilings and the third floor rooms having seven foot ceilings. There is a three flight stairway with wide steps, scroll decorations, half-round railing and square balusters. There is a cellar under part of the house with hard packed ground floor. The walls are plastered and papered and the floors are of wide, irregular pine boards. There are eight fancy mantels, several of them being eight feet wide, that are beautifully fluted and reeded and in the Greek Revival style. There are eight wide fireplaces with irregular brick hearths.

Historical Significance

"At the site of Old Pine Forge, near Cedar Grove Church, is a roomy old house, built in 1811 by Benjamin Pennybacker (1760-1820). It is familiar to residents of the community as the "White House". In an older house that stood on or near the site, was born Sept. 3, 1805, Isaac Samuels Pennybacker, son of Benjamin Pennybacker. From 1837 to 1839, Isaac S. Pennybacker was a member of the House of Representatives. From 1839 to 1845, he was U.S. judge for the Western District of Virginia; and from 1845 until his death in 1847, he was U.S. Senator from Virginia."

"For many years the 'White House' was the home of Elder Michael Good." (Wayland, p. 462)

"Benjamin Pennybacker and his wife, Sarah Samuels, had thirteen children from 1787 to 1812, as the record in their old family Bible plainly shows." (Wayland, p. 237)

The large attic or third story of this house, is plastered and has two large rooms with chimney in each. On these chimneys are written many names, some not legible, others as follows:

Sarah Ann Pennybacker, Pine Forge, Oct. 8, 1840
Mary B. Pennybacker, Oct. 8, 1840
Mary Catherine Bird, Oct. 4, 1843
Mrs. Virginia N. Moore, Oct. 24, 1846
Sophia E. Crim, Sept. 4, 1841

Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937

Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb

Created November 8 2001