Made 17 Aug 1782, probated 26 Apr 1787: George Huddle, dec'd., in his last will and testament devised to his grandsons, Henry, Gideon and John Huddle (sons of his eldest son, John) his home place. Will Book B, page 327
8 Nov 1796: Henry Huddle and Magdalene, his wife, Gideon Huddle and Barbara, his wife, John Huddle and Margaret, his wife, sold to George Copp. Deed Book K, page 381
Made 29 Apr 1839, probated 12 Aug 1839: George Copp, dec'd., devises home farm to his son, William Copp. Will Book V, page 40
Made 10 Nov 1871, probated 9 Jun 1873: William Copp, dec'd., devises home place to his daughter, Susan Copp. Will Book B, page 16
14 Feb 1902: Susan Hamrick (nee Copp), and Lewis H. Hamrick, her husband, convey to Charles F. Hamerick (sic). Deed Book 56, page 42
no date provided: Charles F. Hamerick (sic) and Etta, his wife, sold to Luther R. Burner. Deed Book 69, page 210
1 Sep 1923: Luther R. Burner and Annie Hamrick Burner, his wife, sold to Romeo J. Finks and Ruth Finks, his wife. Deed Book 93, page 311
This "L" shaped weatherboarded log two and one half story house has a metal gabled roof and one stone outside chimney. There are twenty four windows with twelve 10x12 panes or four 12x30 panes and no shutters. The two story front porch runs the entire length of the house, and there is a two story porch in the "L" in the back with small square balusters.
There are four large and eight small rooms with eight and one half foot ceilings. The open string stairway has a walnut handrail with spindle balusters and a large turned newel with fancy carvings. The cellar has a packed dirt floor. The doors are six-panel, two-cross variety with common outside locks and hinges. The walls are papered and the floors are of regular medium width boards.Historical Significance
Supposed to have been built in 1800 from date out on logs under weatherboarding -- probably the original house was torn away. Part of the first roof still (1937) remains in good condition, made of tin and brought from England.
An old graveyard on the place is in bad condition. No stones with inscriptions, only limestone markers sunken in the ground. Old slaves are said to have been buried there.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb