12 May 1845: Thornton Downey and Amelia Anne, his wife, conveyed to Isaac W. Miley and John W. Miley one undivided third of a tract of land of which Joseph Miley died seized and possessed. Deed Book WW, page 150
Mar 1853: Isaac W. Miley and Elizabeth Catharine, his wife, Rebecca Hoffman sold to Samuel Wisman. Deed Book XX, page 463
May 1875: Commissioners were appointed to assign land to Anna M. Wisman, widow of Samuel Wisman, including dwelling house, barn, &c. Deed Book 11, page 515
Made 16 Feb 1878, probated 14 May 1878: Anna M. Wisman, dec'd., in her will, left all her property to her four children - Samuel Wisman, Rebecca Wisman, Elizabeth A. Hollar, wife of Samuel Hollar, and Mary Funkhouser, to be divided equally. Will Book 17, page 379
12 Jan 1892: Lewis J. Funkhouser and Mary C., his wife, Samuel Hollar and Elizabeth E., his wife (heirs of Samuel Wisman, dec'd.), sold to Joseph D. Burner and Rebecca, his wife. Deed Book 44, page 102
Recorded 17 May 1919: Joseph D. Burner, dec'd., in his last will and testament devised his farm three miles southeast of Woodstock to his son, Charles R. Burner. Will Book 32, page 395
Riverside is a three story L-shaped frame house with metal gabled roof and three brick chimneys, two outside and one inside. The weatherboarding is wide and beaded. The cornices are plain wood. There are thirty windows and they have been remodeled to four 14x27 panes. There is a large porch on the front side, and also two small back porches. The entrance is a regular four-panel door with no side lights.
There are three large rooms and eleven small with ceiling height of nine feet. The open string stairway is paneled and has small round rail and newel. The doors are mostly four-panel one-cross and of pine; some have two long panels. They have common outside locks and hinges. The walls are plastered and papered. The floors are of wide irregular pine boards. There are four plain paneled mantels. The large one-room cellar has a hard packed dirt floor.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb