Probably Jacob Gochenour, the pioneer of 1754. It was known as the Old Gochenour home, but accurate information is not available as to owners prior to Levi Gochenour, Sr. Morris Gochenour, executor of Levi Gochenour, deceased, was directed to sell after the death of Mary, wife of Morris Gochenour. Will was made July 1, 1880; recorded August 11, 1890. Morris Gochenour, son of, and executor of Levi Gochenour, deceased conveys to Hugh Ramsey Mowery and Matilda, his wife, for the sum of $2000, the lands of which Levi Gochenour died, seized and possessed.
This house is an odd looking one, having a one story kitchen with a chimney in front of the house where the entrance is from a small porch with a gate. The most interesting feature of the interior is the beautiful hand-planed woodwork. All partitions are made of very wide boards, some twenty two inches wide, smooth and without knots or blemishes.
An old-time dinner bell on top of a high pole with a long rope fastened at the bottom stands near the kitchen.Historical Significance
One of the pioneer homes near the North Mountain, built along the lines of pioneer architecture from virgin forests.
Jacob Gochenour, the pioneer, settled on land near the North Mountain, on the west branch of McNeeses Run, on a tract of four hundred acres of land, secured by grant from Lord Fairfax in 1754; and a smaller tract joining, of one hundred fifty acres. Here, he made his home.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb