1816 - 1817: George B. Meek
1817: Abraham Hoffman
1817 - 1830: William W. Payne
1830 - 1839: Samuel Ott
1839 - 1845: Daniel Burner
1845 - 1862: John Keller
1862 - 1891: George M. Borum
1891: George W. Setzen
From 1891 until his death, Jacob B. Keller was the owner of this house. Keller died without a will, so his property went to his daughter, Mrs. Raleigh Rader, who owned it in 1937.
This house is a small two-story structure of early American architecture. It was built of logs and hand made nails were used. Some of the rooms have been modernized, hardwood floors replacing the broad pine floors, but most of the rooms retain the pine double cross doors and broad pine floors. The ceilings are very low.Historical Significance
This house was built some time in 1817 or 1818 by William W. Payne. It was some time between 1845 and 1862, when John Keller owned it, that it was used as a hatter's shop. He made all kinds of hats, from top hats down.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb