13 Oct 1821: The heirs of Abraham Savage, dec'd, sold to John Deary land which was conveyed to John Dairy by title bond from Abraham Savage, dec'd, 24 Apr 1809, known as Lot # 41. Deed Book BB, page 334
16 Jun 1828: John Deary and Jane, his wife, sold to Washington Wendell, Lot # 41. Deed Book GG, page 260
24 Sep 1828: Washington Wendell and Charlotte, his wife, sold to William Wickes Lot #41. Deed Book GG, page 371
18 Mar 1868: Tustairs Wickes conveyed to Wilmuth Ann Wickes (sister-in-law of C.W.), wife of WIlliam Wickes, Jr., being an orphan of John Kipps, dec'd, Lot #41 which he acquired from his father, William Wickes. Deed Book 16, page 20
23 Mar 1904: C.W. Wickes and Mary, his wife, Giles Wickes, H.T. Wickes, Laura Kennedy and George W. Kennedy, her husband, and Wilmuth A. Wickes, the above's mother, sold to Robert L. Wickes. Deed Book 61, page 445
This is a two and one half story brick house with an "ell" added after the War. The roof was changed to a hip style of metal. There are two chimneys, one at one end of the brick part and the other in the center of the "ell". There are twenty three windows with fifteen 6x8 panes. There is a single story porch with plain square columns along the front of the house. The entrance is a glass door with sidelights.
There are five rooms in the brick part and four in the "ell", with ceiling heights of 8'10". The stairway has one landing. The doors are two-panel, with plain trims and modern locks and hinges. The walls are papered. Fresco came off while soldiers occupied the house. It was thought that cooking in the room caused it. Some of the original wide boards remain, along with narrow style boards of the present day. The fireplace in the parlor has plain wood trim. At one time, it was painted to resemble brown marble, but this also came off when soldiers were there. It was thought that the grease from cooking took it off.Historical Significance
This house was built by or for William Wickes and has remained in the family. Bricks were burned on the place. The family were good cabinet makers, therefore woodwork was plain and very carefully painted to resemble brown marble. The work was so expertly done that the deception was almost impossible to detect. However, during the Civil War, northern soldiers used this room for cooking and living quarters and the painting all peeled off. It is now plain white, but its beauty may be judged by a beautiful walnut table which is still as good as when first made and looks like marble today (1937).
General Shields of Ohio used this house for six weeks during the Civil War, but he was not here during any of the important battles. The family moved to a log cabin towards the mountain during their stay. It was during the soldiers' sojourn that the frescoing and marble painting peeled off. The owners said that the grease from the cooking caused it to peel.
Abraham Savage, the first owner of this lot, was one of the founders of New Market, selling his land in building lots. He also ran a still-house near where the town pump now stands.
William Wickes was a trustee of two colleges in New Market. He also was one of the men who marched to Charlestown in the Tenth Legion Artillery under Capt. M.M. Sibert to guard John Brown at his trial.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb