4 Mar 1851: Ruben Allen and Rebecca, his wife, sold to John Kerlin, mill, etc., which had been conveyed to Ruben Allen by his father, Aaron Allen, September 1835, see Deed Book OO, page 302. Deed Book 2 page 250
1 Mar 1856: John Kerlin and Lydia Catharine, his wife, sold it to Levi Rinker. Deed Book 3, page 461
24 Apr 1879: Levi Rinker sold it to Caleb A. Rinker, property including "Rinkerton Woolen Factory". Deed Book 198, page 294
6 Sep 1900: In Chancery Cause of E.D. Newman, Special Commissioner vs. C.A. Rinker, P.S.U. Rinker became the purchaser. Deed Book 66, page 68
6 Oct 1906: E.D. Newman, Special Commissioner and said P.S.U. Rinker and Effie A., his wife, sold it to Mary Alberta Hopewell.
10 May 1922: Mary Alberta Hopewell and Samuel Hopewell, her husband, et al, sold it to Isaac S. Landis and Mary E., his wife, mill lying south of tenter (sic) of turnpike. Isaac S. Landis owned it in 1937.
The Rinkerton Woolen Mill is an oblong two and one half story frame structure with a metal hipped roof and no chimneys. There are fourteen windows with eighteen 8x10 panes. The entrance is a large board door.
There are two large rooms with ten or ten and one half foot ceilings. The stairway is plain and narrow with triangular steps on the turn in the first flight and a landing on the second. There is a plain cellar, walled in with stone. Four panel double cross doors are at the entrance, with the other doors being pine doors. Wide boards of various widths make up the floors. The rafters are hand hewn and put together with large wooden pins.Historical Significance
Old Mr. Crawford ran the mill awhile, and a man by the name of Patty ran it during the Civil War. The soldiers were going to burn the mill, but did not, as it was exempted property.
There are a few faded records on the walls of dates shipments were sent to Baltimore. The building is in excellent shape (in 1937) and is used during the apple season to make barrels in.
The old log house across the road has been remodeled and added to until the original design has been lost entirely. However, the old doors and locks have been retained, except the outside doors.
There is a large fireplace which covers nearly a whole side of what was a kitchen. The room also has a small fireplace in it. All doors and windows are framed and moulded. Some doors are made of two boards, others more. Some have two long panels in them. The house originally had only four rooms.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb