All deeds refer to this as the Snapp Farm, but no record can be found of Anthony Spengler buying from Snapp.
Probated 7 Sep 1835: In division of land of Anthony Spengler, he devised lot #1 to Clarinda Spengler, lot #2 to Benjamin K. Spengler, lot #4 to Daniel Spingler (sic), lot #6 to Christian Spingler (sic), lot #7 to Amos Spingler (sic), lot #8 to Philip Spingler (sic), lot #11 to Cyrus Spingler (sic). Deed Book OO, page 286
13 Sep 1836: Philip C. Spengler sold to Amos Spengler. Deed Book PP, page 268
6 May 1837: Daniel S. Spangler sold to Amos Spangler. Deed Book PP, page 56
31 Aug 1839: Clarinda Spangler sold to Amos Spangler. Deed Book RR, page 393
2 Jan 1840: Benjamin K. Spangler sold to Amos Spangler. Deed Book RR, page 442
22 Aug 1837: Cyrus Spangler sold to Amos Spangler. Deed Book QQ, page 124
24 Mar 1859: Moses Walton, Commissioner, for heirs of Christian Spangler, deceased, sold to Amos Spangler. Deed Book 5, page 398
1 Aug 1876: E.E. Stickley, special commissioner, sold to George A. Hupp the Amos Spangler Farm. Deed Book 15, page 182
Probated 6 Jan 1891: George A. Hupp, deceased, in his last will and testament devised his two farms to his two daughters, Sallie and Clara M. Hupp. Will Book 23, page 317
31 Jan 1895: Sallie H. Kramer, nee Hupp, conveyed to Clara M. Chiles and Charles M. Chiles, her husband, the A.B. Spangler or Tumbling Run Farm. Deed Book 43, page 263
The house on the Snapp Farm is a three and one half story rectangular stone structure with a metal gabled roof and two inside chimneys. There are twenty windows with four 12x27 panes and no shutters. The front porch has railings and the back porch has brick floor. Five panel double doors with a transom serve as the entrance.
There are eight large rooms with nine foot ceilings. The stairway is open string with a flat rail and a beautifully turned newel of walnut. Under the entire house is a cellar with a hard packed ground floor. The walls are plastered and papered, while the floors have been remodeled. There are eight mantels, fluted and paneled with similar designs.
This is a well built house of fine stone masonry. The entire front is of arranged stone with lime water and the walls are twenty six inches thick. The woodwork was originally of black walnut, which has all been removed except the stairway. Practically the entire interior was remodeled around 1890.Historical Significance
Following a ravine near this house is an old road where the ruts from wagon wheels can be plainly seen worn in the rocky bed of the road. This is said to have been the road from Wytheville to Alexandria, and was used before the James River Canal was built.
Source: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb