Made 20 Mar 1857, probated 13 Apr 1857: Peter Supinger devised to his son, William J. Supinger, the house and lot where he lives. The smith shop which is to include ten feet of ground around it and all the tools, with this exception, that if he and his brother, Peter, Jr. can agree, then Peter is to have one half of the shop and one half of the tools. Will Book 6, page 227
17 Aug 1906: The heirs of William J. Supinger, Robert H. Supinger and Annie his wife, W.J. Supinger, Jr., Mary Bargelt and R.R. Bargelt, her husband, Emma Irvin and H.H. Irvin, her husband, and Herbert Trotter conveyed to Mrs. M.C. Sibert, the brick house and lot in the town of Woodstock, Virginia. Being "third" in the partition of lands of William J. Supinger, January 16, 1895. Deed Book 43, page 233Physical Description
This is a substantial looking old brick house without a front lawn, and with high steps leading up from the street. A side lawn with old shrubbery and trees gives a pleasant setting. The original house had a portico which has been replaced with a modern porch on the entire front of the house.Historical Significance
Peter Supinger's brother Michael, burnt the bricks and built the house. It was called the "Toll Gate House" for a number of years. Peter Supinger kept the "Gate" a long time, as did William Supinger, better known as "Billy". He also operated a blacksmith shop close by.
Mrs. Sarah Supinger Fansler, now (1937) past eighty, recalls that General Hunter, of the Northern Army, had his headquarters there twice, and Lieutenant Pickett stayed with them several days at a time and did lots of writing. He gave her paper and ink. She said he was a nice man. It was while he was there that the "Burning" took place. The Magruder barn across the street was burnt, also the Presbyterian Church in October, 1864, and other buildings. Lieutenant Pickett told them he would go uptown and stop it all, and he did.
Sources: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb