8 Dec 1800: Philip Reedy sold to John Swartz land which was conveyed to him (Philip Reedy) by Augustine Reedy and Mima, his wife, March 23, 1797. Deed Book M, page 309
Recorded 11 Aug 1817: John Swartz in his last will and testament devised this land to his son, Joseph Swartz. Will Book K, page 278
Recorded 10 May 1875: Joseph Swartz willed his farm and home place to his wife, Sarah Swartz, and at her death it was to go to his son, Joseph Swartz. Will Book 16, page 395
Recorded 28 Sep 1907: Joseph Swartz willed to his son, Luther A. Swartz, all the real estate which he died seized and possessed. Will Book 29, page 128
Recorded 10 Oct 1925: Luther A. Swartz willed to his wife, Annie Elizabeth Swartz, all of his real estate until her death, at which time it was to go to his children, and at the death of his children to the heirs of their bodied (sic). Will Book 34, page 419
Marion Swartz, son of Luther A. Swartz owned the farm in 1937.Physical Description
The house on the Swartz farm is an L-shaped two and one half story brick house with metal gabled roof with four inside brick chimneys. There are twenty six windows with nine panes on the upper sash and six panes on the lower, all 8x10 on the first floor, and the second floor windows having six panes in both sashes. The shutters have stationary slats. There is a two story back porch and a small single story front porch with fancy brackets. The entrance has a large six-panel, two-cross door with side lights and transom.
The house has eleven large rooms with nine foot ceilings. The stairway is plain with tapered newel, square balusters and a small round rail. Under part of the house is a cellar with a partial board floor. The walls are papered and the floors are of medium width pine boards. There are eight mantels over eight fireplaces that are neatly fluted and rather plain.
Sources: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb