24 Apr 1877: Moses Walton, Commissioner sold to Henry Theis a tract or parcel of land in New Market, Virginia, and designated as West half of Church and German School house lots on Lime Street and Depot Road and heretofore a portion of real estate of Solomon Rupert, dec'd., other half being purchased by L.P. Henkel. Deed Book 15, page 347, 348
27 Jul 1929: Commissioner R.L. O'Roark sold to Nannie O'Roark and O.B. Theis for $2750 at public sale, deed made the 30th September 1929. Deed Book 104, page 239
30 Sep 1929: O.B. Theis and Lillian, his wife, conveyed to Nannie O'Roark for $458.33, all their undivided interest in the house and lot #52 in the town of New Market, Va., on Depot Street and Lime Street. Deed Book 104, page 240
12 Mar 1930: Nannie O'Roark and R.L. O'Roark, her husband, sold to Lelia Florence Bushong, wife of Homer Bushong, for $3,200 to be paid according to deed, house and lot in New Market, Virginia, known as lot #52. Deed Book 105, page 351Physical Description
The L-shaped Theis Home was a log two and one half story structure with a metal roof and three brick chimneys, one in the center and at the ends of the "L". There were nineteen windows with eight 10x12 panes and no shutters. There was a one story porch with turned columns.
There were ten large and one small room with twelve foot ceilings. The open string stairway had one landing and narrow rail and rods. The walls were papered and the floors were of medium wide boards.Historical Significance
According to Wayland's History of Shenandoah County, this house at one time was used for a school (Church School), of the German Reformed Church, and it was at first a small log building, then a few years later it was enlarged, the brick/log construction being used.
The house was then left as remodeled until May 1937, when the owner started to tear it down to build a bungalow, using the same lumber for this purpose.
Sources: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb