19 Mar 1867: The records indicate the partition of lands of Philip Stover, deceased, in suit of Isaac Bowman vs. Henry Bowman, et al, and recites that J.J. Allen, Rosa Allen and W. Ripley were designated as Commissioners by decree of the Court, 25 Oct 1852, to make partition of the Home Farm of Stover assignment to Ann Eliza Ruddel. Lot #1, "Home Tract."
3 Sep 1884: B.P. Newman and Eliza, his wife, to W.W. Sheetz. All that part of the Phillie (sic) A. McGinnis land lying west of Middle Road, it being part of Lot #1 of Home Farm of Philip Stover, deceased, which was assigned in partition of his lands to Phillie A. Stover, nee Ruddle, now McGinnis, and was conveyed to said B.C. Newman by deed executed by E.D. Newman, Special Commissioner.
2 Apr 1883: E.D. Newman, Commissioner, sold to B.P. Newman.
12 Sep 1902: W. H. Newman and Bertie S., his wife, C. Mary Wunder and M.B. Wunder, her husband, Elizabeth Newman, widow of B.P. Newman, deceased, sold to E.D. Newman.
12 Feb 1936: Mary W. Newman, widow, sold to Narrow Passage Orchard Corporation, property known as Narrow Passage Farm, devised to Mary W. Newman by late E.D. Newman by will probated September 28, 1927.Physical Description
This spacious home of thirteen rooms, five large ones downstairs, and eight smaller ones upstairs, is built in the long style without a hall. It has two front rooms on each side. A winding stairway goes through to the attic from the center room. This room also contains a seven foot square chimney with fireplaces on both sides. Two large chimneys of brick are outside.
A front porch runs the entire length of the house, which is about seventy five feet long. Wide front steps lead up to the porch. A double porch in the rear also runs the entire length of the house, with an outside stairway to the second floor porch. Downstairs a low seat runs the entire length of the porch against the house, with a second step from each of the four doors which open on the back porch. This back side of the house is plastered against the logs, while the other sides of the house are weather boarded against logs.
Large girders, eleven by eight inch logs, run the length of the house as a support to each floor. Cross logs are under every floor.
The doors are six paneled with two crosses and iron latches. Outside doors have large bar hinges in a socket. Several of the doors are two paneled, long, while a few are made of straight up and down heavy boards. There are eight front windows upstairs with small panes of glass.Historical Significance
This old tavern was used for wagons and stages in antebellum days. Stonewall Jackson's army frequently camped in the vicinity during the spring of 1862 and it is said that Jackson made this house his headquarters. The occupants of this house in March 1876 doubtless heard the cries that followed the crash of the high railroad bridge that spans the creek a few rods away.
Sources: Virginia W.P.A. Historical Inventory Project, 1937
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb