Hawkinstown is about a mile and a half above Red Banks, located in one of the most beautiful sections of the Valley; and in the vicinity are a number of old homesteads that have been well known for generations. About a quarter of a mile east of the village is the fine old estate of Israel Allen, who was one of the familiar figures of the neighborhood for twenty years or more following the Civil War. He was probably a descendant of Benjamin Allen, the original settler at Mt. Jackson. The Israel Allen farm is now owned (1927) by the children of Allen Snyder, a grandson of Israel Allen.
Adjoining the Israel Allen farm on the southwest is another splendid estate which was for many years occupied by Capt. John L. Pitman, whose wife was for many years occupied by Capt. John L. Pitman, whose wife was a daughter of John J. Allen, a brother to Israel Allen. Mrs. Pittman was first the wife of Valentine Ripley (1834-1869), a son of William Ripley. On this farm is the cave mentioned by Kercheval (4th edition page 368); and the "Mr. Israel Allen" of Kercheval's day was the father of John J. Allen, Israel Allen, Reuben Allen and Joseph Allen.
From very early days Joseph Hawkins was a familiar name in this community, and it is probably that Hawkinstown was named after one of the men who bore the name of Joseph. For many years Mr. Joseph Hawkins (1828-1903) lived in the large white house that stands on the slope about a mile west of Hawkinstown. His wife was a Miss Allen. William A. Hawkins and Mrs. Benjamin Long were the children of Joseph Hawkins.
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb