In 1791, Evan Jones was high sheriff of Shenandoah County. In 1785 he had been one of the census enumerators, and he was prominent as a magistrate and otherwise. His home was on the Back Road (Zane's Road?) in the southwest part of the county, one mile from the Fairfax (Rockingham) Line. It is probable that in every generation of his descendants there has been an Evan Jones. The old homestead today (1927) is owned by one of them, Evan Jones, and his brother, J.A. Jones. The old farm has never been out of the hands of the Jones family. The present Evan Jones is one of the men prominent in county affairs.
Recently (1927) the Jones brothers have acquired the historic old farm farther down the Back Road (which seems to have been called Zane's Road in 1791 and thereabouts), on which lived the Joneses who were killed by Indians in 1755. It is probable that the younger Jones killed by the Indians was a brother or a cousin to Evan Jones of Revolutionary days.
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb