At Lantz Mills, a short distance northwest of Stony Creek, is a spacious brick house which was for many years the residence of Jacob B. Clem, merchant at Lantz Mills. This old house, in Civil War days and earlier, was the home of Jacob Lantz, a merchant and magistrate, who perhaps built the house. Many pieces of the fractional paper currency issued by Shenandoah County in the year 1863 and thereabouts bear the signature of "J. Lantz, P.J." (Jacob Lantz, presiding justice).
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Return to Shenandoah County GenWeb Project