At the western edge of Strasburg, on the elevation just beyond the old mill, is Spengler Hall, now called from its fine view eastward, Matin Hill. The massive brick house here was erected early in the 19th century by Capt. Anthony Spengler (1774-1834), a brother to Col. Philip Spengler (1761-1823). According to some authorities, the exact year of building was 1812. It is possible, then, that Capt. Spengler and Capt. Isaac Bowman were engaged in erecting their splendid residences at the same time. For many years, the popular owner of Matin Hill was Capt. C.M. Borum. An earlier name for the site was Mt. Prospect.
The old road, the forerunner of the Valley Pike, passed up the hill immediately in front of Matin Hill, as may be plainly seen today (1927). The Dellingers who suffered at the hands of the Indians in 1764 lived on a part of the Spengler plantation, not far from Matin Hill. In the spring of 1862, it was the headquarters of Federal General Williams. In the summer of 1864, Gen. Jubal A. Early, C.S.A., pitched his tent on the lawn, but did not occupy the house.
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Photo contributed by Jim Artz
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb