The house in which General Muhlenberg lived while a resident of Woodstock is not now standing, but the site it occupied is well identified. The building, a rather small log house, stood on Lot 112, east corner of Main and Court Street, very near to the old church of Revolutionary fame, and is still very well remembered by a number of residents of the town. It was torn down in 1881, and the site is now (1927) occupied by the National Bank of Woodstock. On November 8, 1783, General Muhlenberg sold this house and lot to Mathias Zehring for 135 pounds.
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb