Just across the river westward from the Rude place is an old red brick house which was built in 1847. For many years it was the home of Eld. Benjamin W. Neff, who died in 1926. It was the home of his father, Eld. John Neff, who built the house. In an older house at or near the same place was born Eld. Benjamin Neff's older brother, Col. John Francis Neff (1834-1862), who commanded the 33rd regiment, Virginia volunteer infantry, at Second Manassas, where he was killed. Colonel Neff and other members of the family are buried in Cedar Grove Cemetery, on the summit of Rude's Hill.
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb