On the west side of the Pike, just below New Market, is another old brick house -- another Rice home. This fine old mansion was built by Dr. John W. Rice some years prior to the Civil War. This Dr. Rice was the father of Dr. F.E. Rice mentioned above. He was one of the largest landowners of Shenandoah County about the middle of last century, and was one of the prominent directors of the Valley Turnpike. Stanley Hall has recently (1927) been acquired by the Knights of Pythias, who are planning to convert the place to an orphans home.
Excerpted from John W. Wayland's A History of Shenandoah County, Virginia
Return to Shenandoah County VAGenWeb