The Edinburg Mill was built in 1848 by George Grandstaff and was in continuous operation as a grist mill until 1978 when Jim and Becky Ellis bought it and converted it into a home and restaurant. It is famous for the fact that it is one of the few mills in the valley that was not burned by Sheridan during the Civil War. It was set on fire by his orders when Nellie Koontz and her cousin, Melvina Calahan, granddaughters of Major George, raced to Sheridan's headquarters and pleaded with him not to burn it. Because of his respect for Major George, who had been an outstanding strategist in the War of 1812, Sheridan sent orders by the girls for the soldiers to put out the fire. Nellie and Melvina raced back to the mill and gave the orders to the soldiers. Together, with the soldiers and the townspeople, they formed a bucket brigade, finally quenching the fire. The charred beams are still visible inside the mill.
("The History of Edinburg, VA" by Mary Ann Williamson and Jean Allen Davis, pages 489, 490)
Return to Shenandoah County GenWeb Project|