Thompson Martin Smith
October 29, 1838-November 6,? 

If you have a photo of 
Thompson Martin Smith 

please contact Rhonda Robertson



Company H - 50th Regiment VA Infantry - Floyd’s Brigade, enlisted at Wise Courthouse, June 3, 1861, Private, age 22. Sick at White Sulphur Springs, WV, September 11, 1861.

Thompson Martin Smith
By Susan Perry


The Early Years

     Thompson Martin Smith was born October 29, 1839 in Scott County, VA. (1) He was the eldest of Henry and Lucinda (Bevins) Smith’s ten children. (2) He might have been named after Thompson Martin, a local farmer in the area (who is listed in the court records as building a road on June 11, 1839).
     Scott County in 1840 had a population of 6,911 whites, 344 slaves, 48 free colored for a total of 7,303. Estilville, the county seat contained three stores, four tanyards, ten pubs, a Methodist Church and about 60 dwellings. It also had one attorney, but no doctor. The Holston Springs, four miles from the courthouse, were said to have medicinal qualities.
     It was a fine place to live for those who enjoyed frontier life. The soil was good and well watered. People in this area grew Indian corn, wheat, rye, oats, hemp, flax, apples and peaches. They reared horses, horned cattle and hogs. They cut wood from poplar, hickory, beech, sugar maple, white and black oak trees, and gathered buckeyes, black walnuts, chestnuts and wild cherries. Blue cut, salmon, carp and red horse fish were found in the Holston and Clinch Rivers and the Big Moccasin and Sinking Creeks. Coal and marble were also found in abundance. Thomps, at a tender age, probably became a proud possessor of a gun and went hunting for fox, squirrel, possum, raccoons, wild turkey, partridge and pheasant.
     There were many social events for the Smiths, the biggest being the first court day. Other events included log rollings, house raisings, fence building, quilting, apple peeling and bean stringing. Weddings, horse races and taffy pulls were often followed by a day of play.
     Thomps moved to the next county, Russell, when he was about 8 years old (in 1847) with his family. (3) [RUSSELL HISTORY 1850]
     Wise County was formed from parts of Scott and Russell Counties in 1856 and 16-year-old Thomps probably joined in the festivities. (4)
     A few months before his 21st birthday, Thomps wed Mary “Pop” Addington, 16. (5) They were married on May 29, 1860 by the Rev. Robert Holbrook. (6) Mary was born April 15, 1844 the second of 14 children of William and Nancy (Kilgore) Addington. (7) Nancy’s little brother, George Kilgore, had just married Thomps’ sister, Elizabeth, and the Kilgore’s and Smith’s were neighbors, along with Mary’s older sister Sallie and her husband Franklin Cox. (8)
     According to the 1860 Census, Thomps had $35 of personal property. (9) He owned no land, but he did own a cow and a pig worth $17, 10 lbs of butter, $3 in farm implements, $4 in home-made items and $11 of animals slaughtered. He lived near his in-laws, William Addington and Ralph Kilgore. Ralph was the only one owning land, but had only cultivated 15 acres. (10)
     For the first year of their married life, Thomps and Mary probably lived like most of the other folk in the mountains, raising a garden, helping relatives, killing game for food. [WISE COUNTY 1860]

The War Years

     It may have been the lure of ‘good’ pay that made Thomps and his brothers-in-law Franklin Cox and George Kilgore enlist in the war for one year at Wise County Court House on June 3, 1861. Reportedly 101 men were mustered that day, although the roster lists 83. They nicknamed their company the wise Yankee Catchers. (11)
     Sometime between June 14 and June 27 this group of men went to Wytheville where the fairgrounds were turned into Camp Jackson. The Yankee Catchers were organized into a regiment known as Company H of the 50th Virginia Infantry and elected Logan H. N. Salyer as their Captain. They were placed under General J. B. Floyd’s Brigade with A. B. Reynolds as first colonel. (12)
     On July 1, Captain Salyer invested $680 of his own money to procure “forty rifle guns” for the company. Barrett rifles were issued to Company H. As a revealing indicator of the suspect quality and completeness of the training regime, Company H apparently never fired its rifles before departing for the field. When it did, they learned that the rush to produce those rifles had led to a loss in quality.
     “All the men are sick with bowel complaint,” Cpt. Snead of Company F wrote July 10. During July, 164 men of the 50th were hospitalized, including 32 from Company H. Many were struck by measles.  Thomps and George were left sick in Wytheville on July 25 when the rest of the regiment moved on with Floyd to the Kanawha Valley.
     At the same time Thomps was sick in Wytheville, Mary was going into labor. Their first child, a baby girl, was born July 15 but only lived half a day. The birth and death were reported by Mary’s father, William Addington. (13) It is unlikely Thomps ever saw his baby daughter since records indicate that he returned to his regiment on July 31. The regiment was in Lewisburg (West) Virginia preparing for their first battle.
     This battle occurred on August 13 when the 50th engaged the 11th Ohio at Sewell Mountain. The 50th arrived at the mountain to a “sharp skirmish,” but there were no casualties and each side fell back.
     Floyd’s advance guard split with Lt. Col. Croghan taking a cavalry and two infantry companies (B-45th and H-50th) toward Gauley Bridge. At the home of Matilda Hamilton, near the Hawk’s Nest, Croghan lost a skirmish with a portion of the 11th Ohio. He fell back with four wounded in the 45th, none in the 50th. Following the skirmish at Hamilton’s, Floyd moved part of the army on August 21 to Carnifex Ferry.
      Company H was in a battle at Cross Lanes on August 26. At 5 a.m. Floyd “put my forces in motion, met the enemy, completely routed and pursued them seven miles.” The 7th Ohio claimed 5 killed, 40 wounded, and 200 captured. Pvt. Hosea Bolling, Company H, and another man became the first battle casualties in the 50th. Floyd moved the bulk of his army back to Camp Gauley.
     For nearly two weeks following its victory at Cross Lanes, Floyd’s army remained at Camp Gauley undisturbed by the enemy. The flush of victory faded, however, as the effects of disease, poor weather, a lack of clothes and shoes, manifested themselves. Thomps is absent on the muster roll of September 1 and is listed on the hospital rolls of White Sulphur Springs as sick on September 10 and November 1. He missed the battles of Carnifex Ferry and Gauley Bridge.
     On November 6 Thomps’ regiment was at Camp Dickenson on Cotton Hill. It is unclear when Thomps returned to his regiment as there are no records for him for the rest of the campaign with General Floyd. On November 8, Captain Salyer was ordered by Major Thornburn to go to Wise County and “bring up all men belonging to this Regiment he may find well enough for duty, also as many horses as he can obtain.”
Through the month of November, the regiment marched a lot, but saw little action. They went from Laurel Creek to Fayetteville to Raleigh Court House to Piney Creek, to Red Sulphur Springs (now Hinton, Monroe, WV) to Peterstown. In December they moved to Dublin Depot, Newburn and Lewisburg. The 50th were left behind in Lewisburg while the rest of the brigade moved on to Bowling Green, Kentucky.

     On December 26, the 50th finally got on a train at Dublin Depot and headed to Bristol then Nashville, finally reaching Bowling Green on January 3. By January 24 they were camped in Russellville, then moved down to Clarksville, TN and into Cumberland Gap on February 10 where they again prepared for battle.
     Fort Donelson was attacked on February 13-15. There was a very severe battle with the Federal forces led by General Grant. Many were killed in the struggle and Captain Salyer was wounded. He was sent down the Mississippi River by steamboat to Memphis. He tells of a comrade falling across him and dying, he being unable to remove his dead body for several hours because he was too weak from loss of blood.

     The Confederate generals discuss their options: surrender seemed inevitable but there was resistance from Gen. Floyd. In the end, Floyd does leave the battle area with Gen. Pillow, placing Gen. Buckner in the position of having to surrender the fort and 13,829 Confederates were taken prisoner.
      On February 17, Lt. Lipps was cut off from the main body and marched east toward Virginia, saving his company from being captured. The rest of the regiment marched to Murfreesboro, Chattanooga and Knoxville before ending up in Abingdon on March 19. They were told to rendezvous on May 1 at Wytheville. Most likely Company H just went home after February 17.
     Whether Thomps was well enough to participate in any of the above actions is unclear, but that he was home in March and April is fairly certain.
     Company H was back in Wytheville on May 2 and on May 25 they were camping and picketing at Rocky Gap. They stayed there through June and spent July at Narrows Camp in Wolf Creek, probably at Camp Success.
     On August 5, six of the nine companies moved to Peterstown. There was some skirmishing on the New River between August 6-16. On August 23 the 50th Virginia was moved from Wharton’s Brigade to Echols. As Echols went up to Charleston, he left a small garrison behind to secure river crossings at Gauley Bridge. Company H was there from September 11 to October 27 except for a 120 mile march to Lewisburg from October 16-23.
     Mary Addington Smith produced a baby boy on November 3, 1862. He was named Abraham Wellington Smith. (14) Although he had a 8-year-old uncle named Abraham Jefferson, it is a wonder that a Confederate family would give their son the name of the Union President.
     In December 1862, Thomps’ regiment was marched to Dublin Depot where they caught a train to Richmond. The train trip lasted two days. They arrived at Camp Ellsworth on December 19 and moved to Camp Elzey in Dinwiddie County just before Christmas. They moved again on December 30 to Prince George County and then to Southhampton County near Franklin in the Blackwater in January. On January 25, 1863, under Gen. Pryor, the 50th set off to forage for supplies in Somerton just north of the North Carolina border.
     On January 29 the regiment was in a battle at Kelly’s Store. Col. Thomas Poage was killed and A. S. Vandeventer succeeded him; Maj. Salyers was promoted to Lt. Col. The regiment retreated to Franklin and wintered there through March 14. On March 15, they were given orders to return to southwest Virginia and arrived at Dublin Depot on march 19. Most of the men were furloughed and ordered back on April 5. Hopefully Thomps was one of the men and got to see his six-month-old son possibly for the first time.
     General Pryor was relieved of his duties and the 50th went into the Army of Northern Virginia, J. R. Jones’s Brigade.
     When Private Wade of Company H came back to Dublin “all his mess had ran away” because they heard they were being returned east. They traveled to Fredricksburg by train from April 7-9 and camped at Moss Neck.

Thomas[sic] served in the Confederate Army during
the Civil War as a young man of 24. He was wounded

at Chancellorsville, Virginia the same day as Stonewall

Jackson. When the battle ended precisely at 4:00 (so

both sides could collect their wounded), Tom as left

for dead. But in the morning, when the men came out

again, they found him alive! He had a large hole in his

chest that he later told his children and grandchildren

He could put a scarf through. He healed quickly and 

went home ten days later.” [Letter from Amanda Weeks


     The 50th Virginia was moved to Chancellorsville on May 1, 1863 and the campaign began the following day. That first day of battle, Thomps was shot in the left shoulder and sent to Howard’s Grove Hospital. The shot broke his left arm “half in two and ranged in the direction of the spinal column.” He would stay in the hospital from May 10 to July 7, then he was transferred to Liberty Hospital. On July 25 Thomps was furloughed on a 30-day sick leave. He did not return to his regiment until September 11. While on furlough, Mary made him a new set of clothes, which he was reimbursed for ($19.80).
     At the time Thomps was in the hospital, the rest of his company had gone on to Gettysburg and were camped at Montpelier and Orange Court House when Thomps returned from leave. They were sent to Morton’s Ford on the Rapidan River for picket duty until September 25. They moved from Germanna Ford to Culpeper Court house on October 8 and crossed the Hazel River on October 12. They engaged the enemy at Bristoe Station on October 14.
     On October 3, 1863, Lt. Col. Salyer wrote: “We have endured hunger, fatigue and privation side by side. We have seen our comrades fall around us by disease, and on the bloody field, ‘til there is now but few of our old Company left.” (15)
     From October 16 through November 7 they pulled railroad tracks on the Orange & Alexandria Turnpike at Broad Run. They were camped at Mt. Pisgah Church on November 8 before doing more picket duty at Morton’s Ford until the 27.
     The regiment was in the battle of Payne’s Farm on November 27 and Mine’s Run the following day. They were back at Morton’s Ford on December 2, Orange Court House on December 19 and back to Pisgah Church on December 22. Thomps was present in company on December 31.
     From January 3-10, 1864 they were assigned picket duty on the Rapidan returning to Pisgah Church.

The Hospital

     After a review on January 20, 1864, Thomps was declared unfit for field duty and sent to Cimborazo Hospital in Richmond. Six days later, on January 26, while on detail, Thomps was shot in the right leg. (I wonder how this happened?)
     Thomps was made a Ward Master at Cimborazo in Richmond by orders of General Lee. As ward master, Thomps was technically a nurse in charge of a barracks of about 30 patients. He saw to their diets, cleaned their linen and administered medicine. (16)
     Chimborazo was one of the largest military hospitals in the country. The 40-acre site consisted of a brewery, a guardhouse, a bakery, a dairy, stables, supply buildings, shops for the carpenters, blacksmiths and shoemakers, all the necessary offices, and about 120 hospital buildings. (17) Thomps was located in Hospital No. 3. (18)
     The hospital consisted of five divisions with about fifteen wards in each division. Each ward had room for 30-40 cots. The wooden, barracks-type structures, about 75 to 100 feet long and 30-feet wide, with 7-foot-high sides, were made of undressed, two-inch pine planks, set upright and white-washed with lime. The barracks were separated by streets 10-12 feet wide, covering an area of about 40 acres. Each ward would have one brick flue and two wood burning stoves, three doors on each side, and 10 window sashes about two feet square with sliding wooden shutters.
     Apparently the wards left much to be desired. One surgeon said they were “nothing but shanties.” Another staffer said “I am living out at Chimborazo hospital in a whitewashed board house through the planks of which I can see the stars and the snow too...and when it rains I put my straw mattress in the center of my room as it comes through the planks.”
     In the summertime, the crude pine wards became permeated with the deep, acrid odor of gangrene. Thick swarms of black flies tormented patients and attendants. Almost ever ward had its amputating table, from where a steady stream of blood flowed into a tub on the floor that caught the arms and legs. The floors became littered with piles of dirty rags, blood and water, and with the system of cleaning the floors with dry sand then in vogue, they were impossible to keep clean. The shortages of soap and laundresses caused the bedding and the patients’ clothes to become filthy.

     Each of the five divisions had its own kitchen and mess hall, special diet kitchen, apothecary shop, ice-house, morgue, and storage buildings. Each division had a surgeon in charge and, usually, one assistant surgeon for every 70-80 patients, one steward and necessary assistants, two apothecaries, one cook for every 30 patients and  one nurse or attendant for every 10. The cooks an attendants were usually slaves, but were often filled in by soldiers detailed from the army and by some convalescent patients. The nursing work was thought too unrespectable for women.
     Everything was in short supply - bandages, lint, soap, beds, bedding, doctors, attendants, drugs, food, stimulants, stretchers, ambulances and the lack of room. Tents were soon filled with patients. Thomps’ job must have been very trying.
     Records indicate that Thomps was on the roll at Chimborazo from January through all of May and June, 1864. (19) During that time, Thomps’ company did more picket duty at Morton’s Ford, then went on to the battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania in early May. Most of the men were captured there at the 50th in essence ceased to exist. (20)
     On October 18 Thomps was at the Staunton General Hospital and in November and December he received several clothes and rations. Other records show he was paid $11 at month. (21) It is unclear if Thomps spent the remainder of the war at this hospital (see story re Malinda going to get him in Washington, DC; he was captured and sent there as a POW?). Thomps was paroled as a “prisoner of war” on May 5, 1865 in Cumberland Gap, Tennessee. (22)


     Thomps and Pop had seven more children after the war, the first Albert P. V., was born June 1, 1866, one year after Thomps’ return. He was followed by Lee in 1868 and Christopher Columbus June 29, 1869. (23)
     Lee Smith died of dysentery at age 2 August 19, 1869. (24) He was buried in the Kilgore Cemetery in Greasy Gap. Pop and Thomps lived in a log home across from the graveyard near the present highway and on the west side of it on the slope facing the graveyard. Later they lived on Guests Mountain and the Hurricane. (25)
     By 1870, Thomps, Pop and their sons were farming in the Hurricane section of Wise County. Their neighbors were Walter Brown, James Davis, Robert Beverly, William and Lindsay Powers. (26)
     Thomps and Pops’ only daughter was born July 26, 1873. They named her Lucinda Belle, but she was called Laura or Belle. (27) Two more sons followed Belle, William Henry Harrison Smith was born in 1875 and Robert in 1879. (28) Mary may have had another child who died. (29)

Middle Years

     In 1880, Thompson was farming in the Gladeville District with his sons, Abram, Albert and Christopher. Mary was keeping house and tending the three youngest children: Lucinda, 7; William, 5; and Robert (listed as not having a name), 1. (30)
     Thomps may have attended the marriage of his oldest son, Abram, to America Osborne on March 25, 1885. The wedding took place in the bride’s home in Pike County, KY. (31) Thomps and Pop became grandparents on the last day of 1885 with the birth of Mary Belle Smith, named after her grandmother and aunt. (32)
     In 1888, the State of Virginia issued pensions to Confederate soldiers. Thomps filed for a pension from disability on March 27, 1888.
Pop died of the flu at only 49 years of age on April 14, 1894. (33) She is buried in the old Rafe Kilgore Cemetery at the north end of Glamorgan up the hill from 23 where the highway passes through Greasy Gap. Her grave is just outside the fenced lot reserved for Raleigh Kilgore. By her, and on the north, is her unnamed girl (born 1861). Her son Lee Smith and her grandchild (Albert’s) are also buried there. (34) Rafe Kilgore was Mary’s grandfather. (35)

Old Age

     After the death of Pop, most of her children moved away from Wise. Abram and his family and William headed back over the mountains to settle in West Liberty, KY. Christopher and Robert moved to Letcher County, KY. (36) Belle married William Wampler on October 30, 1894. (37) and Thomps “was angry at his daughter for getting married and moving to Missouri and didn’t write to her at all.” (38)
     Albert married in 1895 and lived in Glamorgan (where the barber shop was in 1938?) Before the coming of the railroad. (39) He did not move to Kentucky until after the death of his father?
     In 1900, Thomps was living alone but very near his son Albert. He owned a free farm. (40)

“Gramps Smith was at our house in 1902 at West
Liberty. He was an aristocrat in looks and bearing. 

He sure was proud. He was with us about six months.

It seems like Dad’s brothers and Uncle Win were

always hanging around. Six months was a short visit

for them.” [Letter from Adella Adkins to her sister

Grace Perry, undated]

     Thomps died in November 6?, 1906 at age 67 and is buried in the Stallard/Smith Cemetery near the Lonesome Pine Airport in Wise. The Veterans’s Administration put up a CSA tombstone, but has the date of death as 1891.(41)

Children of Thompson and Mary Addington Smith

     Abraham Wellington Smith

     Albert Phillip Smith was born on June 1, 1866 in Wise County. (42) He must have attended school because he could read and write. (43)
     When he was 28 (1895), Albert married Sarah A. (Alice?) last name unknown. (44) They had two children before 1900; Mary born November 1895 and Winfield M. born February 1899.(45) Another child died young and was buried in the Rafe Kilgore Cemetery.(46)
     Albert rented a farm in Glamorgan (where the barber shop was in 1936) before the coming of the railroad. (47)
Sometime after 1900, Albert moved to Letcher County, KY, where he married Elizabeth Sisk, daughter of Azriah & Tilpha Lyons on 31 May 1911 in Wise County. (48) Elizabeth was a widow? and had a son Thomas. 

     In 1920, Albert was 54 years old and was working as a mine foreman in Fleming, Letcher County, KY. His household included Elizabeth 53, Walter 23 (b. 1897) and Winfield 20. Thomas Sisk, Elizabeth’s son, his wife Rossie and their 11-month old daughter Verna, were also living with them. Thomas Sisk is listed as a boarder.
     Albert died in Letcher County, KY on January 17, 1931.(49)

     Christopher Columbus Smith was born in June 29, 1869, (50), undoubtedly named after the explorer. He lived with his parents in Wise County, and helped on the farm. (51)
     On July 1, 1891, 22-year-old Chris married Margaret Elizabeth Baker, daughter of Joseph and Margaret Baker, in Wise, VA. (52) She was born on February 2, 1874. (53) They lived in Coeburn (Bondtown), where Chris was a laborer.(54) Their first two children were born there: Maude Myrtle Smith (November 29, 1892) and Fitzhugh Lee Smith (February 24, 1895).

     Sometime between 1895 and 1898 this family moved to Letcher County, KY and lived near Dry Fork. Two more children were born: Hattie Mae Smith (August 24, 1898) and Ray Smith. (55)
     Chris was a sheriff, and was killed by a man and woman who laid him on a railroad track to cover up the crime. He died November 2, 1904 and his body was sent back to Coeburn for burial. Many years later, the woman confessed to the murder on her death bed. (56) Margaret married Mr. Brown and had two more sons. She died August 22, 1919 and is buried in the Brown Cemetery, Dry Fork, Letcher County, KY. (57)
Maude married Opie Harlow, but had no children. She died January 11, 1988 in Whitesburg, (Letcher County, KY). Hattie married (1) Otis McBride and (2) George Garner. Ray died young.(58)

     Lee Smith married May 8, 1915 in Dry Fork to Martha Cook. They had 11 children:(59) 
1. Ray McKinley Smith, b. September 29, 1916, d. June 7, 1985 Tiffin, Ohio

2. Lavennia Rea Smith, b. June 10, 1918 married Oscar Brown

3. Willie Smith, born April 4, 1920, died May 1, 1920

4. Mary Jane Smith, b. July 1, 1921 m. (1) Reno Meade (2) Sahiador Aguirre

5. Maggie L. Smith, b. May 14, 1923 m. Carl Bowen

6. Kenneth Smith, b. April 15, 1926, d. October 3, 1979 Cincinnati, Ohio

7. Christopher Lee smith, b. November 10, 1929, d. April 19, 1993, Tiffin, Ohio

8. Lena Mae Smith, b. August 23, 1931 m. George Hunley

9. Roy Smith, b. April 20, 1920, d. March 17, 1934

10. Vernon Smith, b. February 16, 1935, died August 2, 1955, Tiffin, Ohio

11. Ruby Smith, b. September 12, 1938, m. Kelsie Fields

Lee died August 7, 1992 at 97 years of age! He and Martha are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery in Whitesburg, KY.

     Lucinda “Laura” Belle Smith was born on July 26, 1873 in Wise County. (60) She married William Wampler on October 30, 1894 (61) and moved to Christian County, MO. There were hard times when they first moved to Missouri. They settled in Boaz for a few years, then moved to Clever around 1907. (62)
     They had seven children, two died in infancy: Robert Ray (1895-1897); Harold Howard (1897); Guy (1899); Edith Elizabeth (1902); Lake (1906); Grace O. (1908); and Mary Helen (1913). Their last two children were born in the house they built in Clever. It was a large frame farmhouse with a porch covering a side and a half of the house. They lived in this house most of their married life and both died there. (63)
     William was a hard worker and was very active in the community. He and his son at one time had three tomato factories in the area and during WWII canned and sold tomatoes to the Government. (64)
     The Wamplers were very religious. They hardly ever missed attending the Clever Methodist Church. They most always sat on the front row of the church, sometimes shouting Amen during the service. (65)
William died of prostate cancer in 1946. (66)

      Belle was called Mother Wampler as she did not care to be called Grandma. She was a very loving persons, and also odd in some ways. She loved to call her grandchildren in on their way home from school and give them something to eat. If the weather was cold, she would insist that they put their fee ton the oven door to warm them. She had an old wood cook stove and was a good cook. (67)
     The odd part was she would hide from her children and grandchildren sometimes when we would stop to visit. Some days she just did not care for company. As they appeared quite often, perhaps she just was too tired. She hardly ever went anywhere and her children, Grace and Helen, would try to get her to stay with them once in awhile and were often refused. (68)
     Her son Harold found her dead in her home on December 29, 1963. She had a heart attack and died alone. She was still able to take care of herself and got around very well until she died. (69)

    William Henry Harrison Smith was born in 1875 (70) and may have been named after the 9th President of the United States (who died in 1841). He was married twice. His first union produced a son, Ulysses born in 1901. (71) [named after another President?] Ulysses was killed in a mine accident in 1923??

     Henry was married next to Allie Phipps in Morgan, KY. They had two daughters, Kathleen (1909), who married R. V. Stallard and lived in Seaport, DE.

1. Notes of Grace Perry: “Thomas Martin Smith, b. 10-29-1839.”

2. 1840 Scott County, VA: “Henry Smith, 20-30, female 20-30, male 1-5.”

3. 1850 Russell County, VA census: “Thompson 11, etc.”

4. Wise County, VA, Addington

5. Addingtons of Virginia and England, Addington, “Mary ‘Pop’ Addington.”

6. Commonwealth of Virginia, Marriage Record, T. M. Smith and Mary Addington, May 29, 1860. Wise County Marriage Register 1856-1886, Roberton, p. 12; “Smith, Thompson M., 21, S., Scott Co., VA, Res. Wise Co., VA on 29 May 1860 to Mary Addington, 17, S., Russell Co., VA, Res. Wise Co., VA, son of Henry, daughter of William, Occ: Farmer, Min. Robert Holbrook.”

7. The Addingtons of Virginia, Brown:

8. 1860 Wise County, VA Census: “Thompson Smith 21, Farmer $32; Mary 16, 

9. 1860 Wise County, VA Census

10. 1860 Wise County Agricultural Census, Weaver: T. M. Smith, land 0, cow 1, pig 1, livestock value $17, butter 10 lbs, farm imp. $3, homemade items $4, animals slaughtered $11. Ralph Kilgore 15 acres cultivated land.”

11. 50th Virginia Infantry, Chapla and National Archives Records.

12. Ibid., each paragraph unless otherwise noted.

13. Wise County VA Birth Records, “15 July 1861 female, not named, born dead, Thompson M. & Mary Smith by Wm. Addington, grandfather

14. 1900 Magoffin County, KY census; notes of Grace Perry: “Abram, b. Nov 1862.” Abraham Wellington Smith, born November 3, 1862.”

15. Wise County, Virginia, Addington?? “In a letter from Logan Salyer to Morgan T. Lipps Hdqrs 50th Reg. VA, Rapidan River, October 3, 1863.”

16. “Chimbarozo Hospital,” Civil War Illustrated, date & page.

17. Ibid (except where indicated)

18. National Archives Records

19. Ibid

20. Chapla, ibid

21. National Archives Records

22. Ibid.: “Mustered-in June 3, 1861 Wise County, Va; left sick at Wytheville July 25, 1861; Regiment return July 31, 1861; left sick at White Sulphur Springs, absent on muster roll November 1, 1861; GSW left shoulder May 2, 1863; Camp Winder GH, Howard’s Grove; transferred July 7, 1863 Liberty, VA; Furloughed July 25 1863 (30-day sick leave); Regimental return September 11, 1863; Furlough receipt December 30, 1863 (Camp Pisgah Church); Detailed January 20, 1864 (hospital duty) made Ward Master by orders of General lee; GSW January 26, 1864 right leg (Chimbarozo, Richmond); detailed January 26, 1864 “nurses” (Chimbarozo) Hospital list March 1, 1864 (Chim.) Hospital Muster Roll May 1 - June 30, 1864 (Chim.); Pay receipt May & June 30, 1864, $22; Clothing receipt Sept 1864; clothing receipt October 5, 1864; clothing receipt October 18, 1864 (Staunton GH); clothing receipt November 17, 1864; December 23, 1864; ration receipt December 23, 1864; POW parole May 5, 1865 (Cumberland Gap, TN).”

23. 1870 Wise County, VA census: “Thompson Smith 30 Farmer; Mary 26; Abram 7; Albert 4, Christopher 1.

24. Burying Grounds in Wise, VA, Adams, p. 4; Lee Smith died August 19, 186_. I could not make out the rest of this inscription. It is probably Lee smith. Tomp Smith once lived in Greasy Gap, on the other slope facing the graveyard.”

25. Ibid, p. 133, “Thomps is buried in Hurricane.”

26. 1870 Wise County, VA census

27. Funeral notice of Laura Belle Wampler: “In memory of Laura Bell(e) Wampler, born July 26, 1875 Wise, VA, died December 29, 1963, Clever, Missouri.”

28. 1880 Wise County, VA census: “Thompson M. Smith 40; Mary 36; Abram 18; Albert 15; Christopher 11; Lucinda 7; William 5; no name 1 male.”

29. Adams, ibid. “By her, and on north is her girl, name not known and north of her is small grave probably another of her children.”

30. 1880 Wise County, VA census, ibid.

31. Pike County, KY Marriage Record: “Marriage of Abram Smith, Wise County to America Osborne, 18, Pike, KY...”

32. Notes of Grace Perry: “Mary Smith, b. December 31, 1885.”

33. Certificate of Death for Mary smith, Commonwealth of Virginia: “Mary Smith WF, 49, died April 12, 1894 in Wise, VA of La Grippe. Parents: William and Nancy Addington, housewife; consort/informant: T. M. Smith.”

34. Adams, ibid. “Directly east of place left for Raleigh Kilgore is fenced lot, but outside of lot is grave of Pop, wife of Tomp Smith. Believes she died of fever some 45 years ago. They lived in log home across from the graveyard near the present highway and on west side of it.:

35. Kilgore Family, ??

36. Letter of Amada Weeks, 1978: “Mom visited Aunt Belle Wampler at Springfield, MO many times. She lived to be quite old and her daughter Grace Ghan still corresponds with her, Stafford, MO. Thomas Martin Smith was angry at daughter Belle for getting married and leaving, didn’t write at all, but she and Grandpa Abram Smith corresponded. So Belle said she didn’t know Lee very well as he was so young when she left home.”

37. Letter of Harold Wampler, 1996: “William Wampler married Laura Smith October 30, 1894.”

38. Letter of Amanda Weeks, ibid.

39. Adams, ibid., “He says it was Albert Smith’s child. Albert lived where the barber shop in Glamorgan is now before coming of the railroad. He moved to Kentucky and died there. He was a son of Tomp Smith.

40. 1900 Wise County, VA census: “Thompson Smith 60, widow OFF #108.”

41. Picture of grave; notes of Grace Smith; Wise County Cemeteries 2, Robertson: “Thompson M. Smith, Pvt. Co. H. 50th INF, CSA 1939-1891.”

42. Stallard Connection: Wise VA Birth Records?

43. 1900 Wise VA Census

44. 1900 Wise VA Census

45. 1900 Wise VA Census

46. Burying Grounds, 1900 Census (Sarah 3 children, 2 living)

47. Burying Grounds

48. Wise County Marriage Records

49. Kentucky Social Security Index

50. Letcher County Heritage Book; Maggie Bowen

51. 1880 Wise VA Census

52. Wise VA Marriage Records

53. Letcher County Heritage Book; Maggie Bowen

54. 1900 Wise VA Census

55. Letcher KY Heritage Book; Maggie Bowen

56. Story from Maggie Bowen, granddaughter (telephone 2/19/00)

57. Letcher KY Heritage Book, Maggie Bowen

58. Letcher KY Heritage Book, Maggie Bowen

59. Letcher KY Heritage Book, Maggie Bowen

60. 1880 Wise VA Census; funeral card

61. Wise VA Marriage Records

62. Letter of Harold Wampler, Jr.

63. Letter and Pictures from Harold Wampler, Jr.

64. Ibid

65. Ibid

66. Ibid

67. Ibid

68. Ibid

69. Ibid


Wise County Virginia Birth Records: 15 July 1861 no named, born dead, Thompson M. & Mary Smith by Wm. Addington, grandfather
Wise County Marriage Register 1856-1886, page 12: Smith, Thompson M., 21, single, Scott Co., res. Wise Co., VA, on 29 may 1860 to Mary Addington, 17, single, Rus. Co., VA, res. Wise Co., VA, s. of Henry, d. of William. Occ: Farmer, Min: Robert Holbrook.

Certificate of Death: Commonwealth of Virginia: “Mary Smith, WF, 49, died April 12, 1894 in Wise, VA of La Grippe. Parents: Wm & Nancy Addington, housewife; consort/informant: T. M. Smith.”

Cemetery Photo of Gravestone: Thompson M. Smith, Pvt, Co. H., 50th VA Inf., CSA 1939-1891.”

Family Burying Grounds in Wise County, VA, Adams, p. 4: “Lee Sm, died August 19, 186__. I could not make out the rest of this inscription. It is probably Lee Smith. Tomp Smith once lived in Greasy Gap, on the other slope facing the graveyard.” Page 133: “He says it was Albert Smith’s child. Albert lived where the Barber Shop in Glamorgan is now before coming of the railroad. He moved to Kentucky and died there. He was a son of Tomp Smith. Directly east of place left for Raleigh Kilgore is fenced lot, but outside of lot is grave of Pop, wife of Tomp Smith. Believes she died of fever some 45 years ago. They lived in log home across from the graveyard near the present highway and on west side of it. Tomp is buried in Hurricane. By her, and on north is her girl, name not known and north of her is small grave probably another of her children.” [Rafe Kilgore Cemetery or Greasy Graveyard is located on a slightly rolling benchland in the north end of Glamorgan, about three hundred yards east, and up the hill from US 23, where that highway passes through Greasy Gap. It covers about one acre of ground.”

1840 Scott Co., VA: Thompson, 1

1850 Russell Co., VA: Thompson, 11

1860 Wise Co., VA: Thompson Smith, 21, farmer, $32; Mary, 16.

1870 Wise Co., VA: Thompson Smith, 30 Farmer; Mary 26; Abram 7; Albert 4; Christopher 1.

1880 Wise Co., VA: Thompson M. Smith, 40; Mary, 36; Abram 18; Albert 15; Christopher 11; Lucinda 7; William 5; no name 1 male.

1900 Wise Co., VA: Thompson Smith, 60, widow OFF #108.Albert Smith, b. June 1866, age 33, mar. 5 years, farmer, rents farm, can read, write & speak English; Sarah A, b. Nov 1879, 20, 3-2; Mary, b. Nov 1895, 4; Winfield, b. Feb 1899, 1.

Updated letter from Adella Adkins to Grace Perry: “Grampa Smith was at our house in 1902 at West Liberty. He was an aristocrat in looks and bearing. He sure was proud. He was with us about six months. It seems like Dad’s brothers and Uncle Win were always hanging around, six months was a short visit for them.” It was Aunt Nanny and Aunt Mary said Grandpas relations in England was very wealthy (like G. G. Grandpa Smith’s relations in England.”

Letter dated 1978 from Amanda Weeks to Susan Perry: “Mom visited Aunt Belle Wampler at Springfield, Missouri many times. She lived to be quite old and her daughter Grace Ghan still corresponds with her, Stafford, MO. Thomas Martin Smith was angry at daughter Belle for getting married and leaving, didn’t write at all, but she and Grandpa Abram Smith corresponded. So Belle said she didn’t know Lee very well as he was so young when she left home. Thomas Martin Smith, b. October 29, 1839, d. 1906, etc.”

Notes of Grace Smith Perry: “Thomas Martin smith, b. October 29, 1839, died November 1906.”

The Stallard Connection, p. 801: “Addington, Mary, born 1844 Virginia, married May 29, 1859 Wise County to Thompson M. Smith, son of Henry Wood Smith and Lucinda Bevins, born October 1839, Scott County, Virginia. 1900 lists Thompson age 60, widowed. Source: Wise County Marriage Records, 1880-1900; Wise County Census; Wise County Birth Register. Their children: female born July 15, 1861; Abraham W., born 1862; Albert P. V., born June 1, 1866; Chris C;., born 1869; Lucinda B., born 1873; William H. M., born 1875; son born 1879.”

National Archives Records of Private Thompson M. Smith: [For records of other soldiers and battles see Civil War]. “Mustered-in June 3, 1861 Wise County, VA; Left sick at Wytheville July 25, 1861 (Muster Roll); Muster Roll September 1, 1861 (absent); Muster Roll, September 10, 1861 (present); Company reorganized May 12, 1862 [Virginia]; GSW left shoulder May 10, 1863 (Howard’s Grove, Richmond); Veel, Sclo. May 11, 1863 (Camp Winder Gen. Hosp.); Transferred July 7, 1863 (Liberty, VA); furloughed July 25, 1863 (30 days); returned September 11, 1863; furlough receipt December 30, 1863 (Camp Porgal Church); GSW right leg January 16, 1864 (Chimboraso, Richmond); Detailed January 20, 1864 (hospital duty); Ward Master; January 20, 1864 (by General Lee); Detailed “Nurses” January 26, 1864 (Chimboraso); Hospital List March 1, 1864 (Chimboraso); Hospital Muster Roll May/June, 1864 (Chimborado); Pay receipt May/June 1864; Pay receipt May 1-June 30, 1864 ($22); clothing receipt September 1864; clothing receipt October 5, 1864; clothing receipt October 18, 1864 (Gen. Hosp. Staunton); clothing receipt November 17, 1864; ration receipt December 23, 1864; clothing receipt December 23, 1864; Prisoner of War Roll May 5, 1865 (Cumberland Gap, KY).”

1920 Letcher, KY (Fleming): Albert Smith, 54, VA mine foreman; Elizabeth 53; Walter 23, Winifred 20; Sisk, Thomas, 25 border, Rossie Sisk, 22, KY, Verna 11/12 KY.
Kentucky Vital Records Index: Albert Smith, d. 310117, age 65, vol. 4 #2049 DV 31.

Wise County Marriage Records: Albert P. Smith, s/o Thomps & Pop Smith m. Elizabeth Sisk, d/o Azriah & Tilpha Lyons on May 31, 1911

Funeral Card: In Memory of Laura Bell(e) Wampler, born July 26, 1875, Wise, VA, died December 29, 1963, Clever, Missouri, memorial service Thursday, January 2, 1964, 2:00 p.m. Clever Methodist Church, Clever, Missouri. Officiating: Rev. Wayne Jones, Rev. D. S. Frazier. Final Resting Place: Wise Hill Cemetery. Active Pallbearers: Harold Wampler, Jr., Sidney Wampler, William Wampler, Stephen Chastain, Jerry Wampler, Dean Wampler. Honorary Pallbearers: David Wampler, Guy Wampler, Jr. (Her grandsons).

Notes of Grace Smith Perry: “Belle’s husband died 1946, 1 daughter Edith burned 1931, Grace married Lawrence Ghan; Helen married Chastian, 1 son Stephen; sons Harold and Guy; grandsons Harold, Jr., Sidney, William, Jerry, Dean, David and Guy, Jr.”

data compiled and submitted by Rhonda Robertson and Lillian Gobble ©2000

If you have any additional information in reference to the Civil War Soldier above please contact
Rhonda Robertson

return to main page

Copyright Notice
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Vickie Sturgill Stevens . Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.